Climate Future has prepared a Campaign Strategy as a guide to carrying out its work.
The main aims of the committee are based on the need for education of the community about the coming impacts and for urgent action to reduce emissions by all levels of government.
Even if we take drastic action to reduce emissions the impacts that are already locked in will be deep and irresistable. So Climate Future will be working to encourage Federal, State and Local Government to accept that changes are inevitable and to plan ahead for the impacts.
An urgent and ambitious approach to reducing emissions of green house gases is critical. Global emissions have to stop rising immediately and reduce rapidly. Climate Future will be working towards replacement of our coal fired power stations with renewable energy such as wind, solar thermal, photovoltaic (PV), geothermal power, etc. These new power systems need to be industrial scale to enable us to shut down the coal/gas/oil that are ruining our planet for future generations.
The campaign espouses the following principles:
- Climate Emergency: an emergency response to reduce GHG emissions is required
- Action should be undertaken at all levels of government and community - on the level of a war footing emergency (declare a Climate Emergency)
- Just Transition - a safety net for disadvantaged groups is required
- Must be based on authoritative scientific and economic advice (e.g. Climate Authority)
- Planning and action is needed to adapt and improve the community’s resilience to impacts already occurring and locked in to the climate system
The most effective and economic manner of reducing our emissions is to introduce a broad based and equitable tax and dividend system or a cap and trade system for green house gas emissions. This must be accompanied by a cap on current emissions and a ban on any new fossil fuels to prevent any increases. Climate Future will be asking our politicians to declare a Climate Emergency at all levels of government.
This issue is an ethical and moral issue. If we do not respond to this challenge, our descendants will rightly condemn us for our criminal negligence.