The group was formed by members of the Central Coast community because our response to the threat of climate change needs community support.
The group recognizes the following:
- That it is clear that the warming being experienced is caused by human activities, in particular the emission of green house gases mainly from combustion of fossil fuels but also from deforestation, gases from waste, man-made chemicals (e.g. refrigerants), agriculture, etc.
- That the acidity of the Earth’s oceans is being driven up by human emissions of CO2 into the atmosphere.
- That the earth has warmed already by more than 1.0 deg C over pre-industrial temperatures.
- That the emissions already created will drive further climate warming of the order of a further 1.0 deg C.
- That the impacts on the Earth’s biosphere are currently set to continue for a minimum of 1000 years.
- That the impacts include human/society losses as well as biodiversity loss:
- Rising temperature - heatwaves, wildfire, drought, etc.
- Increasing storm intensity - cyclones, thunderstorms, etc.
- Rising sea level and loss of human settlements/agricultural land
- Increasing ocean acidity
- Health impacts – heat stress and disease
- Biodiversity loss -- 30% to 80%
The Aims of Climate Future are:
- To see national and local actions - a price on carbon (e.g. an ETS); All parties to implement a price immediately.
- Ban on any new fossil fuel mining.
- Ban on new infrastructure to use fossil fuels (such investments are a waste of money).
- Phase out all use of fossil fuels by 2030.
- Phase out all industrial production of GHGs by 2035.
- Encourage local action at agency, business and community levels.
- Education program for awareness raising.
- Coordinate with other groups active on climate change.
- Support campaigns by other groups that focus on particular issues related to the climate issue (e.g. Adani mine/ Wallarah II Mine; health impacts, bushfire, flooding).